Skube's everyday life Blog.

Insight into my mind.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Munich

Ok, I went and saw The Chronicles of Narnia last night, which was ok, but nothing spectacular. The CG was great on Aslan and the beavers, the little girl was good, and Tilda Swinton was great (though I still love her in Constantine best), but it just didn't get me excited.
So as usual, we snuck into another movie, and the one that was most convenient happened to be Munich.
Now, I have to say, I already liked everyone involved with this movie, but I was still blown away by how good this movie is. Everyone brings their A-game to this film. Bana is probably going to be nominated for an Oscar here, and if Ciaran Hinds (Caesar in Rome) is ignored for supporting actor, I'll be pissed. Daniel Craig (Layer Cake) is terrific, and Mathieu Kassovitz (Amelie) is for lack of a better word, adorable, as the toy maker turned bomb maker. Geoffry Rush has a small part, but every scene he's in he steals. And all the other players turn in top notch performances, no matter how big or small their part.
But perhaps the best part of this film is that it restores one's faith in Spielberg. I for one thought the man was slipping a bit, and forgetting how to keep audiences attention glued to the screen. War of the Worlds was good, but there were parts that lagged, and the last quarter of the movie was pretty weak. And his other movies have been kind of lack-luster. The last great movie he made was probably Saving Private Ryan. And I think Munich is far better than that even.
So far, it's my choice for best picture of the year.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:02 AM , Blogger Ryan Summers said...

    Aww man, Catch Me If You Can was one of my favoritest Spielberg movies of all-time! And I wasn't really the biggest fan of Minority Report, AI, The Terminal, or Saving Private Ryan. Ryan was a great movie, if you like John Wayne movies. I guess I was just disappointed no one talked about The Thin Red Line, and they just went into how intense those first 20 minutes were.

    On the other hand, I really dug WotW, especially after finding out how freaking fast that movie was made.

    You just have to come over for the Super Bowl now. We have so much catching up to do!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home